----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:50:00 on 96/10/02 GMT (by MA00848 at ELINK) Subject: ITAA Certification ITAA offers a program in which an application can be vertified as being year 2000 ready. Does anyone know where I can get more information about this program? Thanks, Bill Dulyk ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:59:14 on 96/10/02 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: ITAA Certification Ref: Append at 20:50:00 on 96/10/02 GMT (by MA00848 at ELINK) Do you have access to the world wide web? If so, check the URL http://www.itaa.org. There should be a link to the certification information. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:01:41 on 96/10/02 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: ITAA Certification Ref: Append at 20:50:00 on 96/10/02 GMT (by MA00848 at ELINK) Do you have access to the world wide web? If so, check the URL http://www.itaa.org. There should be a link to the certification information. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 09:03:24 on 96/10/07 GMT (by 9WARLTK at CROVM4) Subject: YEAR 2000 CERTIFICATION RECEIVED FOR AS/400 The Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) October 1st, 1996, announced it has awarded its first Year 2000 Certification to IBM's AS/400 platform running Operating System/400 Version 3 Release 2 and Version 3 Release 7. AS/400 participated in a pilot program developed by ITAA, which will now offer certification on an industry-wide basis. According to ITAA, certification means a product is Year 2000 ready if it is capable of correctly processing, providing and/or receiving data within and between the year 1999 and through the twenty-first century. "We're pleased AS/400 has received ITAA*2000 certification," said Barbara McDuffie, director of IBM's Year 2000 initiative. "We recognize this is a significant step. As more companies follow suit, ITAA*2000 will go a long way toward giving consumers confidence that the products and services they buy will be able to perform date-related computations correctly. The Year 2000 represents a major challenge for the entire industry, and it will take the entire industry, starting now and working together, to solve it. Receipt of the first certification issued by ITAA demonstrates just how sharply focused IBM is on the importance of the Year 2000." Additional information on IBM's Year 2000 support is available on the Internet at: http://www.software.ibm.com/year2000/index.html Information regarding AS/400 applications and business partner Year 2000 support is available at: http://www.softmall.ibm.com/as400/year2000.html Regards, Keith Warltier, Redevelopment Practice, IBM UK 9WARLTK@CROVM4 or GBIBMTJ2@IBMMAIL or KEITH_WARLTIER@UK.IBM.COM ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:20:06 on 96/10/07 GMT (by SBYCFLB at EHONE7) Subject: SYNCSORT year 2000 support Hi, Has anyone installed the SYNCSORT year 2000 (CENTWIN option) support? If so, are there any gotcha's I need to be aware of before installing it? Thanks in advance, George C. Berg - MVS systems programmer Ralphs Grocery Company - (310) 354-3572 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:33:54 on 96/10/07 GMT (by YAEGER at SJFEVMX) Subject: SYNCSORT year 2000 support Ref: Append at 16:20:06 on 96/10/07 GMT (by SBYCFLB at EHONE7) Note that DFSORT has had Year 2000 support since May, 1996 for DFSORT Release 13 via PTF UN90139. For details, see the DFSORT home page at URL: http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/sort/srtmhome.htm My SORT2000 paper on DFSORT's Year 2000 features, which shows how to sort, merge and transform 45 different date formats, is available on the home page, from MKTTOOLS or via anonymous FTP from: lscftp.pok.ibm.com/pub/mvs/docs/ Frank L. Yaeger - DFSORT Team (Specialties: ICETOOL, OUTFIL, Y2K :-) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 08:19:33 on 96/10/08 GMT (by 9WARLTK at CROVM4) Subject: ITAA Certification Ref: Append at 20:50:00 on 96/10/02 GMT (by MA00848 at ELINK) >> ITAA offers a program in which an application can be >> verified as being year 2000 ready. >> Does anyone know where I can get more information >> about this program? Thanks, Bill Dulyk Bill, you could write to the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) at: http://www.itaa.org/year2000.html Regards, Keith Warltier, Y2K & Redevelopment Practice, IBM UK 9WARLTK@CROVM4 or GBIBMTJ2@IBMMAIL or KEITH_WARLTIER@UK.IBM.COM ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:35:53 on 96/10/09 GMT (by GBCBHG00 at ELINK) Subject: New publication requirement Ref: Append at 09:59:33 on 96/09/27 GMT (by 9WARLTK at CROVM4) Judith, I have had a look at the red books (GG24-3920 and GG24-3921) and they do give a good comparison of LPAR and VM, however they do not detail some of the problems, nor do they detail the workings of or setting of the TOD clock. I await the red book - "Year 2000 testing: Customer experiences" - maybe I could get a residancy out of it !!!! This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Peter Gammage Tel 0141-204 2737 SEMA Group Outsourcing Fax 0141-204 2523 1 Atlantic Quay Broomielaw, Glasgow G2-8JE Email: Peter.Gammage@mail.sema.co.uk ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:07:33 on 96/10/10 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) Subject: Appendix A of Year 2000 Planning Guide We are at a crossroads to decide the format of providing you with a listing of industry products that are/will be year 2000 ready. Appendix A of The Year 2000 and 2-Digit Dates: A Guide for Planning and Implementation GC28-1251 contains hundreds of products organized by platform. We will be adding a lot of industry applications to the list. The question is: Would you like it organized by platform or industry? If by platform, you would only know them by name and number and they would be incorporated into the existing charts. If by industry, you would know it by industry but the industry chart would include all applicable platforms. I welcome your input. Iris P.S. The answer is not both! ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 23:09:57 on 96/10/14 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) Subject: Appendix A of Year 2000 Planning Guide Ref: Append at 20:07:33 on 96/10/10 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) A few days ago I posted a question on the organization of the appendix for industry applications. The choices were: 1. By platform 2. By industry (no platform separation) I now offer up a third based on some input: 3. By platform within industry (these tables would be separate by industry and then within each industry there would be multiple platform charts). There are several industries, e.g. banking, health, retail, manufacturing...) I really would like to hear your opinions. We will literally be adding thousands of industry applications (over time) so I want to make sure we meet your needs in how we present them. Iris ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:01:50 on 96/10/15 GMT (by STEVE at UKFSC) Subject: Does my customer need to upgrade 3725 to 3745? My customer is runing a very old level of EP in their 3725. According to GC28-1251-04 (in the MVS section) they need to be at EP V1R6M1 to be Year2000 ready. According to my information, 1.6.1 runs only in a PEP, and my customer runs pure EP. If you migrate to the next higher level of EP which runs standalone then the 3725 is no longer supported. So, in a nutshell, it you run standalone EP you can throw out anything older than a 3745. I've collected this from several sources, none of which are usually unreliable, but I'd sure like a confirmation before I start telling customers to throw out their 370x and 372X. Where would I go for such a confirmation? teve Swift ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:07:24 on 96/10/15 GMT (by STEVE at UKFSC) Subject: New publication requirement Ref: Append at 13:35:53 on 96/10/09 GMT (by GBCBHG00 at ELINK) There are some brief comments about testing year2000 issues under VM or LPAR in GC28-1251 "The Yeqr 2000 and 2-Digit Dates: A Guide for Planning and Implementation". Whilst it boils down to "You can use VM or LPAR" it does mention some speceific snags in IPLing some levels of VM with the TOD clock set to 2000 and beyond. Steve Swift ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:43:07 on 96/10/15 GMT (by GBOAMU00 at ELINK) Subject: SPAM Notice they spammed everyone's forum but their own? For Y2K read YEUK. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by David Cartwright Technical Consultant ++44 121 355 3190 dc@dcuk.demon.co.uk ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:37:11 on 96/10/15 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: IBM Year 2000 Web Site As promised when this forum began, the new year 2000 web site is online today. Please visit the Year 2000 Technical Support Center web site at URL http://www.software.ibm.com/year2000/index.html for information about IBM's Year 2000 Transition. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:38:50 on 96/10/15 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: Year 2000 Web Site As promised when this forum began, the new year 2000 web site is online today. Please visit the Year 2000 Technical Support Center web site at URL http://www.software.ibm.com/year2000/index.html for information about IBM's Year 2000 Transition. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:48:37 on 96/10/15 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) Subject: COMUDAS COMUDAS will be available worldwide Nov. 15, 1996. Below is an excerpt of the announcement. COMUDAS is also described in IBM's The Year 2000 and 2-Digit Dates: A Guide for Planning and Implementation. New AISPO* Product - IBM* Common Uithoorn Date Services (COMUDAS) 5764-A05 (PRPQ # P94048) General Availability: November 15, 1996 Geographic Availability: Worldwide COMUDAS SOLUTION BENEFITS ------------------------- COMUDAS is: * An international date routine application which will provide a smooth transition into the YEAR 2000* and beyond. * Not dependent on DBMS,(DB2*, IMS*) since all MVS systems support the VSAM structure. * Flexible, uses a standard interface and is CUA* compliant. * Cost reducing; there is no need to develop new date routines. COMUDAS will replace existing data routines. COMUDAS PRODUCT OVERVIEW ------------------------ COMUDAS is a common date routine that has been developed to replace all existing date routines, used by IBM Uithoorn. COMUDAS offers all necessary functions for validation, conversion, and calculation of dates in any format. A standard interface must be used to call the date routine's load module dynamically. The package also offers the possibility to use separate functions by means of NCAL's, that can be linked statically. This might be useful when converting large files or databases with validated data into other formats (e.g. when moving to a "Year 2000 Clean" application). Functions are available for updating the Calendar Tables by means of the On-line Facility, that also can be used to test the Date Routines, and to print calendars, but also for education. PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS ------------------ Features * Date validation * Date calculation * Date conversion * Free date format definitions * Supports Country dependent data - Weekend definitions - Closing dates (for both Manufacturing and Financial purposes) - Holidays * Can be used by MVS applications with PL/1 runtime environment or a Language Environment* (LE/370), for: - CICS* (PL/1) - PL/1 - COBOL * Supports terms as: - Country Codes - Shopdates (Calculating with working days) - Closing Dates (Manufacturing & Finance) * Is able to print: - Common calendars for years in range 1760 through 9999 - Production Calendars (per country / year) using working days. * Contains functions to support a calendar owner * Can be of use when changing applications into "YEAR 2000 Clean" COMUDAS consists of two main components: 1.The date routine functions An interface will be supplied, that can be filled with data, and that will be returned to the calling program, containing the requested information, including a return code and return message. The interface will be available in both PL/1 and COBOL format. The date routine functions can be called by applications: - CICS (PL/1), e.g. HPS applications - PL/1 - COBOL 2.The On-line Facility In a TSO / ISPF environment, this component can be used to: * Get familiar with the date routines. An on-line presentation of the interface can be used to test the date routine functions. * Update the calendar tables.(by calendar owner) All users (with read access) may view the contents of the calendar tables, and the calendar owner only can use this function to: - Update the calendar tables. - Generate a new table to be used by the date routine functions. - Generate production calendars. * Print a calendar. All users will be able to print a common calendar for years in range 1760 through 9999. * Print a Production Calendar. All users will be able to print a production calendar for a country and year, that must have been created by the calendar owner previously. DOCUMENTATION: The product comes with the following user documentation: - FPIIGA10 LIST3820 - Installation Guide. - FPIUGA10 LIST3820 - User's Guide - FPIMGA10 LIST3820 - Messages Guide ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: _ Please send information requests to: Rene Scheres, UITVM1(COMUDAS) COMUDAS Product Support (031)079-311-7679, T/L 221-7679 - Refer to RPQ/PRPQ Database for product and order information - Request a "Product Info Sheet" by issuing: TOOLS SENDTO RHQVM21 CDS98 ASISINFO GET FAXA05 LIST3820 - Customers can request product information sheet 6396 by calling 1 800 IBM-4FAX. * Trademark or registered trademark of the International Business Machines Corporation. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:55:24 on 96/10/15 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: Does my customer need to upgrade 3725 to 3745? Ref: Append at 11:01:50 on 96/10/15 GMT (by STEVE at UKFSC) I found the following information in the VSE product database: The last release of EP to run standalone on the 372x is Release 3. Since Release 3 is not year 2000 compliant, then the customer will need to upgrade. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 08:17:10 on 96/10/16 GMT (by NGDANNY at HKGVM8) Subject: Year 2000 Support Hi, fellows! I got an announcment letter docid AA953085 and letno AA95-3085 dated 951031 and revised on 960228 with title Year 2000 Suuport. At the end of it, there is a list of IBM software which claimed to be Year 2000 compliance. However, what happens to those software that are not in this list? Does it mean that they are not Year 2000 compliance and then what should the customer do in order to continue to use these software e.g. PSF/MVS, PPFA/MVS, EREP and so on. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:42:05 on 96/10/16 GMT (by 62418658 at EHONE) Subject: VM or LPAR Ref: several appends Can't resist on this one : VM/ESA is definitely a winner on this : CPU Allocation : LPAR: A logical partition must have all its CPU's shared OR dedicated. Partitions must be stopped to change allocation. Capping is possible. VM: Guest can have shared AND/OR dedicated processors... Can be changed in flight, can change share of processor usage more dynamically via commands. Capping is possible too (since VM/ESA 1.2.2) Real Devices : LPAR: Except if EMIF is available, the whole channel(s) have to be dedicated to the partition. A local 3270 CU needed per LPAR (unless you think you can manage several images from the hardware console ???). VM: Allocation to a guest per device or even minidisk and all paths can be shared by all users. Any terminal (local or remote) can become the console of a guest. Virtual Devices: LPAR: No such thing. VM: Virtual CTC, UR, Consoles, Terminals (dial), disks in memory (FBA only, so of no use by MVS) Central Storage: LPAR: Fixed portions allocated to logical partitions, though MVS can use its Dynamic Storage Reconfiguration feature. LPAR definitions use from 4Meg up to 40Meg (depending on system) of real memory. VM: Fixed portions to Preferred Guests (V=R and V=F), but beneath that, rest of storage can be shared by many, many V=V guests Hence, one can allocate much more storage to guest than is really available. VM/ESA needs only about 4meg real storage for its nucleus, independent of processor model. Expanded Storage: LPAR: Again fixed portions VM: Can dedicate parts to guest and keep rest for paging or minidisk caching. Debugging tools: Plenty of it on VM/ESA. Overhead on guests: Same or better for VM/ESA. Note: LPAR is nothing else than a striped down VM supervisor in microcode... (ok this is a simplification, but that's how the user sees it). Isolation between guests: If one does not do tricks with the VM/ESA control blocks, the isolation is as perfect as with LPAR. Note: one of the typical characteristics of VM/ESA is that by default, a user (guest) can do almost nothing, unless it gets the authorities (CP privileg classes, passwords to link minidisks, attach devices, etc.). On most systems I know, the default is that you can do anything, unless you immediately install protection software (RACF...). Hardware support: Up-to-date in latest release. VM/ESA is the only operating system in the world that can run almost unmodified from a PC 500 server up to the largest MP Mainframe. VM/ESA gets an ITR ration of 5.85 on a 6-way (which means only .15 overhead due to MP) Year 2000 compliant: VM/ESA Version 2 Release 2 (GA 12/96) is Year 2000 compliant. Any user (guest) can be IPLed with a different date and time. AND, for the price of VM/ESA (cheap if you can have MOSP pricing), you get CMS, XEDIT, REXX, SFS, GCS, and last but not least CMS PIPELINES |||||||||||||||||||||||| (do you want to convert your databases to 4-digit ? do it with pipelines |||||||||||) (OK, there is the BatchPipeWorks on MVS too...). 2 limitations/cons to be complete : - you need some skills to install/maintain the system, but this can be very limited nowadays - no sysplexing possible with MVS systems on other systems. Sysplexing is possible between MVS systems all running under control of the same VM/ESA system. Guy De Ceulaer - VM Support - Belgium ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:56:56 on 96/10/16 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) Subject: Year 2000 Support Ref: Append at 08:17:10 on 96/10/16 GMT (by NGDANNY at HKGVM8) IBM has published The Year 2000 and 2 Digit Dates: A Guide for Planning and Implementation (affectionately known as the Planning Guide). This has an updated list to what is in the announcement since we publish about every 3 months. It is available on the Internet at www.software.ibm.com/year2000/index.html. Appendix A should have most of what you are looking for. Please be sure to read carefully the preface in Appendix A. It will tell you how to read the charts. Iris ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:00:19 on 96/10/16 GMT (by RAYCLARK at BLDFVM9) Subject: Hardware Ref: None I have seen that DASD and 3x74 type control units are Y2K clean. How about 3802/3420 and 3480 tape? What about Series 1's and printers? Will IBM make a statement about these items? Thanks, Raymond J Clark TEAMOS2 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:43:31 on 96/10/16 GMT (by STEVE at UKFSC) Subject: Does my customer need to upgrade 3725 to 3745? Ref: Append at 15:55:24 on 96/10/15 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) That's going to go down like a lead baloon with many VM customers running pre-cambrian levels of EP on 3725/3720 and even 3704/3705. The next question is quite predictable: What will the nature of the "failure" be, or is this combination not Year2000 compliant just because it hasn't been tested? I can imagine several customers saying "That's the end of the 37xx so that's the end of VM because we're not investing in new hardware". Steve Swift ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 19:10:12 on 96/10/16 GMT (by SHERRY at SJFEVMX) Subject: Year 2000 Support Ref: Append at 10:56:56 on 96/10/16 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) EREP is a unique situation with regard to YEAR 2000 compliance. No changes are being made to the product so that the format of its output reports do not change. Special instructions are provided in the planning guide (see previous append) on how to run EREP if you wish to specify a data range which includes both December 31, 1999 and January 1, 2000. Sherry Goncharsky SHERRY @ SANJOSE sherryg@vnet.ibm.com SSD YEAR 2000 representative ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:15:50 on 96/10/20 GMT (by F14 at TELVM1) - Subject: RPG/370 and year 2000 support Is RPG/370 (5688-127) Y2000 compliant? JONATHAN MERON(F14 at TELVM1) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:39:49 on 96/10/21 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) Subject: RPG/370 and year 2000 support Ref: Append at 17:15:50 on 96/10/20 GMT (by F14 at TELVM1) Service was withdrawn for this RPG June 1995. However, 5740-RG1 RPGII will be compliant by year end as per the Planning Guide. Iris ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:10:10 on 96/10/21 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: Year 2000 and VSAM Keys The following is a request from a customer. Does anyone have information on this topic? Are there any publications about alternatives for handling the problem of date fields in VSAM keys after year 2000? Sequential processing will read 1999 dates before 2000 dates (assuming the years are still 2 digits). For systems that we know will be retired before 2010, we are considering the idea of moving high-values to the first position of the YYMMDD date (if it is zero) before writing the record to the VSAM file. When we read the record from the file, we will replace any high-values with a zero before processing the date. This should sequence the dates correctly until 2010. For systems that won't be retired before 2010, we need a better solution. One possibility is to make two sequential passes, bypassing the 21st century dates on the first pass and selecting only 21st century dates on the second pass. Can you point me somewhere where there is a general discussion of the problem and possible solutions. I have read the IBM Year 2000 manual section on date formatting, but I'm looking for other alternatives. Thanks. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:28:45 on 96/10/21 GMT (by YAEGER at SJFEVMX) Subject: Year 2000 and VSAM Keys Ref: Append at 21:10:10 on 96/10/21 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) I believe DFSORT's Year 2000 features can help here. New data formats Y2C, Y2Z, Y2P and Y2D can be used in conjunction with a specified fixed or sliding window to sort, merge and transform dates with two-digit years. This support has been available since May, 1996 with DFSORT R13 PTF UN90139. See my earlier append in this CFORUM at 20:27:07 on 96/08/23 GMT with the Subject heading "DFSORT's Year 2000 Features and SORT2000 Paper" on where to obtain the details. Frank L. Yaeger - DFSORT Team (Specialties: ICETOOL, OUTFIL, Y2K :-) => DFSORT/MVS is on the WWW at http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/sort/srtmhome.htm ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 02:06:05 on 96/10/22 GMT (by LIAWSM at SGPVM1) Subject: Y2000 ready? The Y2000 planning guide does not list the following software. Please let me know if the following are Y2000 ready/will be and if not, what replacement program is : 5665-402 ISPF/PDF 3.5.0 5665-461 Repository Manager/MVS 1.2.3 5740-XXF Data Dictionary 1.6.0 Thank you. Soon Mee (Services, IBM Singapore) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:23:46 on 96/10/22 GMT (by YAEGER at SJFEVMX) Subject: DFSORT/VSE Year2000 Preview For a preview of DFSORT/VSE's upcoming Year2000 Features support, visit the DFSORT/VSE home page at URL: http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/sort/srtvhome.htm Frank L. Yaeger - DFSORT Team ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:32:40 on 96/10/23 GMT (by 83827255 at EHONE) Subject: Year2000 testing tools I've been having a look through this forum and found no information about these tools and their real ability. We are now involved in an impact analysis in a medium size bank. Ten years ago, they migrated from Bull to IBM MVS and took advantage of the migration process to prepare their apps to be Y2000 compliant. Our results during the impact analysis phase seem to confirm this idea. Due to this, the customer wants to start testing all the apps and define, as much as possible, which ones are having problems. We started searching for this kind of tools. We found several ones: Validdate from Viasoft, Simulate2000 from Prince sw, Target/2000 from Targetfour, etc. All of these tools seem to be intercepting SVC 11, STCK and TIME LINKAGE= SYSTEM calls. I wish to know if somebody has had any experience with these kind of tools. Does anybody know if, by just relying on these interceptions men- tioned above, we might be having other points of failure in the testing process?. Does anybody know how the SVC 11, STCK work? Where can we find this kind of info?. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:51:41 on 96/10/23 GMT (by THOMEN at SJFEVMX) Subject: Year 2000 and VSAM Keys Ref: Append at 21:10:10 on 96/10/21 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Can you clarify what is meant by dates in "VSAM keys?" Do they mean that the keys for the records in a KSDS actually contain a date field of the format YYMMDD? It's not clear to me if they really meant the reference to "keys" or if they're talking about date fields within data records. If they really mean it's in the keys, it would seem a simple program to read the data set and create a new output data set with a key longer by two bytes and primed with "19" should do the trick. I must be missing something here... Mark Thomen DFSMS Development (Catalog/IDCAMS/VSAM) SJFEVMX/THOMEN or USIB54WA at IBMMAIL ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:20:24 on 96/10/24 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) Subject: COBOL and Y2K The IBM Y2K manual (-03) cites "COBOL for MVS & VM V1 R2" as the only Y2K compliant COBOL compiler. What then is the status of programs compiled with COBOL II. We weren't intending to recompile everything in sight to achieve compliance. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Melvyn Maltz Marks and Spencer plc Tel:0171 268 5246 Fax:0171 268 5246 Email: melvyn.maltz@marks-and-spencer.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:06:55 on 96/10/24 GMT (by 86653614 at EHONE) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 10:20:24 on 96/10/24 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) Personal view here : there is a difference between a compiler and any compiled programs, as your question indeed suggests. You could write a year 2000 compliant program in VS COBOL II (or indeed in OS/VS COBOL) even though the compiler itself is not compliant. Conversely, you could write a non-compliant program in COBOL for MVS, even though the compiler IS compliant. The most significant difference between the two compilers when it comes to year 2000 (though not the only one) is that COBOL for MVS provides 4-digit year support itself whereas with VS COBOL II your application logic has to do the work, or at the very least you have to call some other routines. The VS COBOL II approach could involve considerably more coding and testing. But if the applications are already written to cope with year 2000, then they are indeed compliant, even though the compiler is not. (Of course, there are plenty of other reasons as well for going to COBOL for MVS, but this forum is probably not the place to rehearse them.) Richard Mascall, IBM in the UK and Ireland ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:18:46 on 96/10/24 GMT (by JFRANCIS at GDLVM7) Subject: VM or LPAR Ref: Append at 10:42:05 on 96/10/16 GMT (by 62418658 at EHONE) > Year 2000 compliant: > VM/ESA Version 2 Release 2 (GA 12/96) is Year 2000 compliant. > Any user (guest) can be IPLed with a different date and time. VM/ESA has always supported guests with a different date and time than the host system; you do not need V2R2 to have this capability. John Franciscovich VM/ESA Development ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:35:05 on 96/10/24 GMT (by 62418658 at EHONE) Subject: VM or LPAR Ref: Append at 13:18:46 on 96/10/24 GMT (by JFRANCIS at GDLVM7) Should have used bullets Year 2000 compliant: * VM/ESA Version 2 Release 2 (GA 12/96) is Year 2000 compliant. * Any user (guest) can be IPLed with a different date and time. so that it was clear that the Year 2000 compliancy (CMS, CP, GCS...) will be in VM/ESA V2.2.0. The other bullet is indeed true for older releases (but I don't think ALL older releases - TODENABLE came with 1.1.1 if I remember correctly). Guy De Ceulaer - VM Support - Belgium ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:36:43 on 96/10/24 GMT (by 75804006 at EHONE) Subject: Y2000 support for IBM product programs I'm not sure this is the right forum but, in any case, I try. For a customer of mine I'm checking his IBM products in order to see which of them aren't Y2000 compliant and therefor need to be upgraded ; in doing that I use the GC28-1251-04 form "The year 2000 and 2-Digit Dates : A Guide for Planning and Implementation" that's quite useful for this task. However I didn't see any indication for these two products : - 5688-035 X.24 NPSI 3.4 - 5665-955 Info/MVS 4.2 Regarding the last one, is the InfoManagement/MVS still a requirement ? I ask this because my customer, who today has InfoManagement & InfoSystem at 4.2 level, thinks to stop using them. Another question : is Language Environment (5688-198) a true replacement for C/370 Library (5688-188) and OS/VS PL/I (5668-911) ? ; in other word should I expect any problem for IBM software which need, as pre-requisite, the C/370 and PL/I run-time libraries ? Thanks a lot and beste regards Giorgio Pavanetto IBM SEMEA - Florence B/O ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 23:30:58 on 96/10/24 GMT (by CRENNIE at SYDVM1) Subject: Year2000 testing tools Ref: Append at 17:32:40 on 96/10/23 GMT (by 83827255 at EHONE) Hi, I have just had a very similar enquiry from my customer. Does IBM have its own tools that provide similar function, i.e. intercepting application calls for time services from the operating system, so that the users can test YEAR2000 compliance without changing the clock for the entire system? Charlie Rennie IT Spec Australia. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 02:30:23 on 96/10/25 GMT (by AS103033 at ELINK) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 10:20:24 on 96/10/24 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) Have you seen PN76666 and PN84084? This is from PN76666:- >A new callable routine (IGZEDT4) is provided that will return >the current date with a 4-digit year in the form YYYYMMDD. >IBM's recommendation is that customers use Language Environment >Date/Time callable services since IGZEDT4 is only a partial >solution to the year 2000 problem. Maybe this just adds to the confusion! Andy Wood This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Westpac Banking Corp ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:47:39 on 96/10/25 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 02:30:23 on 96/10/25 GMT (by AS103033 at ELINK) Thanks , I'll look at those. I was thinking more on the lines of COBOL II programs that don't do any time/date processing. They will still have been compiled with a non-2000-compliant compiler. Does that matter, should I be losing sleep over this ? This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Melvyn Maltz Marks and Spencer plc Tel:0171 268 5246 Fax:0171 268 5246 Email: melvyn.maltz@marks-and-spencer.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:21:29 on 96/10/25 GMT (by IL68778 at ELINK) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 15:47:39 on 96/10/25 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) The first thing to understand is what "year 2000 compliant" means. There is a lot of confusion on the subject in the mind of many people, particularly myself. Then, you have to realize that a "year 2000 compliant" application does NOT have to be written for (or compiled with) a "year 2000 compliant" compiler. In other words, a COBOL II application may be perfectly "year 2000 compliant"; it just depends how the application itself has been written and, in particular, how it handles dates. How long COBOL II will be supported is another issue that should not be confused with year 2000 compliance. Users of COBOL II on VSE discovered that recently. Although I would not advise anyone to do so, some installations will choose to patch up OS/VS COBOL applications and run them for another five, ten years or more. Gilbert Saint-flour Automated Migration Services IBMMAIL(USS24LG4) IBMLINK(IL68778) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:24:40 on 96/10/25 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 10:20:24 on 96/10/24 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) If you have COBOL II programs that do not use dates you can still run the load modules without recompiling. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:26:20 on 96/10/25 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: Year2000 testing tools Ref: Append at 23:30:58 on 96/10/24 GMT (by CRENNIE at SYDVM1) At the moment no we do not. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:28:01 on 96/10/25 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 02:30:23 on 96/10/25 GMT (by AS103033 at ELINK) PN76666 and PN84084 are not intended for use by customers to achieve year 2000 compliance in COBOL II. Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:04:12 on 96/10/25 GMT (by Y2KTSC at STLVM6) Subject: Y2000 support for IBM product programs Ref: Append at 15:36:43 on 96/10/24 GMT (by 75804006 at EHONE) During my various researches on date and time subjects I found IBM had >three different standards for converting a date into a day count. That >is three different base dates. As long as you pick one and stick to it, >you'll be ok. They are, for info: > >CICS 1st January 1900 (TOD clock base) >COBOL for MVS/VM 1st January 1601 (ISO standard) >LE/370 15th October 1582 (Pope Gregorys calendar adjustment) You can elimnate part of the problem by using the INTDATE compiler option of COBOL for MVS & VM. If you set the installation default to be INTDATE(LILIAN) then your COBOL Intrinsic Functions will use the LE/370 start date. That at least eliminates one of the conflicts! (The default for INTDATE is the ISO standard INTDATE(ANSI) setting) Tom Ross IBM COBOL Family Development ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:48:48 on 96/10/29 GMT (by TMROSS at STLVM20) Subject: LE/370 date routines Ref: Append at 15:26:36 on 96/10/29 GMT (by GBCAYX01 at ELINK2) >We're considering consigning all of our bespoke date routines and using >the LE/370 equivalents. Has anyone already trodden this path and come up >with the pros and cons of doing it? Any comments from the LE/370 team? I think the LE date/time routines are a fine way to go. You don't say what language(S) you are using, but COBOL has native language date/time Intrinsic Functions that are easier to use. For a cross-language solution, there is nothing available other than LE date/time services. (Other than your own code that you would have to maintain) My only suggestion would be to NOT use integer dates outside of a program. Don't use integer dates as parameters between programs, and don't store them in files/databases. There are just too many ways to get screwed up in that environment. I would only use integer dates for calculation, such as finding what a due date is 90 days from today for example. Always store printable dates so that there is no incorrect conversion of integers to Gregorian/Julian. Tom Ross IBM COBOL Family Development ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:16:29 on 96/10/30 GMT (by 86617495 at EHONE) Subject: LE/370 date routines Ref: Append at 17:32:37 on 96/10/29 GMT (by TMROSS at STLVM20) Using the 'INTDATE(LILIAN)' approach will give the callable services and intrinsic functions a common base point - except 'CEECBLDY' which will still use the ISO standard as its base. Use 'CEEDAYS' instead. Ian Junor, IBM UK - Y2K Redevelopment ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:28:01 on 96/10/30 GMT (by GBCADH00 at ELINK) Subject: LE/370 date routines Ref: Append at 16:45:21 on 96/10/29 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) If you want to process dates of birth, make sure the CICS routines can handle negative numbers correctly! This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Nick Hands-Clarke (GBFPLNHC at IBMMAIL.COM) FPLO (+44-1306 740123 ext 3121) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:16:03 on 96/10/30 GMT (by TMROSS at STLVM20) Subject: LE/370 date routines Ref: Append at 11:16:29 on 96/10/30 GMT (by 86617495 at EHONE) >Using the 'INTDATE(LILIAN)' approach will give the callable services >and intrinsic functions a common base point - except 'CEECBLDY' which >will still use the ISO standard as its base. Use 'CEEDAYS' instead. True! That is why I added code to diagnose a CALL 'CEECBLDY' statement found in a COBOL program compiled with INTDATE(LILIAN) and convert it to a 'CALL CEEDAYS'. You get a RC=8 from compile, and it will catch all cases except: MOVE 'CEECBLDY' TO id-1. CALL id-1. Tom Ross IBM COBOL Family Development ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:18:30 on 96/10/31 GMT (by 86617495 at EHONE) Subject: LE/370 date routines Ref: Append at 15:16:03 on 96/10/30 GMT (by TMROSS at STLVM20) Hi Tom, Thanks for that - we all learn something new every day. Is there a central reference point where I can find out about any other goodies like this - no need to re-invent wheels etc. Thanks. Ian Junor, IBM UK ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:01:53 on 96/10/31 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 14:00:01 on 96/10/29 GMT (by GBCADH00 at ELINK2) I've just come up with another interesting APAR, PN79703. This allows COBOL II to call the LE/370 date and time services. "Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Melvyn Maltz Marks and Spencer plc Tel:0171 268 5246 Fax:0171 268 5246 Email: melvyn.maltz@marks-and-spencer.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:28:54 on 96/10/31 GMT (by 78897412 at EHONE) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 12:01:53 on 96/10/31 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) Hello, Currently one of our customers wants an inventory of his MVS/ESA system. I found the 'Y2000 and 2 digit dates' most helpful but have a few questions left. 1) I could not find the cache-rmf reporter 5898-DQD product. This believe this is a program offering. Anyone knows about Y2K compliancy? (Cust. uses r1.4) 2) The OSI/CS product 5685-014 R1.1 was not listed either. Again any hints on Y2K compliancy? 3) MVS/ESA V5.1 was said to be Y2K compliant by end 1996. Will the maintenance providing support be listed in this forum or should the customer obtain the info from SW/Support? Thanks in advance, regards NL97412@EAMSVM1 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:20:33 on 96/10/31 GMT (by IYORK at KGNVMC) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 14:28:54 on 96/10/31 GMT (by 78897412 at EHONE) Are you sure you are looking at the most current guide? 1) I could not find the cache-rmf reporter 5898-DQD product. This believe this is a program offering. Anyone knows about Y2K compliancy? (Cust. uses r1.4) --> This has been in since the fourth edition. Out of service products are typically listed after the platform chart. Service was withdrawn June 1996 and the function is in DFSMSopt. 2) The OSI/CS product 5685-014 R1.1 was not listed either. Again any hints on Y2K compliancy? --> Again, it's in there...it's compliant at the 1.2 level which if you remember how to read the charts means that anything earlier is not Year 2000 supported. I'd like to make a general statement about earlier releases. While for the most part it's true that they are not, there may also be the case where it could be but it is not listed as such because it is out of service and we don't go back to research them. Don't forget it's at your own risk if you stay on a product that is out of service. 3) MVS/ESA V5.1 was said to be Y2K compliant by end 1996. Will the maintenance providing support be listed in this forum or should the customer obtain the info from SW/Support? --> All of the PTFs were available as of July. Search on the keyword YR2000 in RETAIN or go to the YR2000MVS PSP bucket. I will not be detailing any PTF info. Iris ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:03:43 on 96/10/31 GMT (by TMROSS at STLVM20) Subject: LE/370 date routines Ref: Append at 11:18:30 on 96/10/31 GMT (by 86617495 at EHONE) >Thanks for that - we all learn something new every day. >Is there a central reference point where I can find out about any >other goodies like this - no need to re-invent wheels etc. You are welcome! There is a section on the Year 2000 problem in the COBOL for MVS & VM Programming Guide (GC26-4764-03) that covers Year 2000 stuff, if that's what you mean by 'goodies like this'... Tom Ross IBM COBOL Family Development ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 18:34:02 on 96/10/31 GMT (by TMROSS at STLVM20) Subject: COBOL and Y2K Ref: Append at 12:01:53 on 96/10/31 GMT (by GBCBHU09 at ELINK) >I've just come up with another interesting APAR, PN79703. This allows >VS COBOL II programs to call the LE/370 date and time services. This may look like you can stay with VS COBOL II, but VS COBOL II programs must be running under LE to use the LE date/time services. Once LE is the run-time, then any program can be compiled with COBOL for MVS & VM, and voila! Migration is complete. The first step in a COBOL migration, and the one that is necessary to solve the Year 2000 problem for COBOL applications is: Migrate from old COBOL run-time libraries to Language Environment! PS: From VS COBOL II programs the LE date/time services MUST be called dynamically. From COBOL for MVS & VM programs they can be called either statically or dynamically. Tom Ross IBM COBOL Family Development